Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Two Years Post Op

I went for my two year post op for WLS today. It was such an encouraging time to be with the nurses that have helped me for the last couple of years.  They were so supportive and friendly. As we talked about what was happening and finding out what was working and what I needed to tweak it dawned on me that these people are like family to me.  The relationship I have with them is more than them just doing their job.  They really do want to see me succeed and they are willing to help me if they can.
Yes the staff are willing to help me succeed but there is only so much that They can do.  You see they can help me to understand what I need to be doing and how it will benefit me.  They can give me advice on how I should be eating and what exercises I should be doing and all of the stuff I know that I should be doing.  The reality is that even though they are all so helpful this journey is my journey and no one can walk it for me.  I must walk this journey on my own.  You may be able to walk with me for awhile but in the end I must stay on the path that is before me without getting off of it.  If I venture off of the path it can be a scary dark place to be.  You see the support team is along the path not out in the forest.
I have a tool to help me in this journey and that is all it is.  It is not a magic cure all that will fix my weight and make me stop eating.  No this tool cannot make me eat properly. This tool can't even make do what I know I should be doing.  No this is a tool and it can do nothing on it's own.  As with any tool the person using it must know the proper way to use it.  If I have a screw driver I cannot use it as a hammer (OK so I have tried and it worked for a short time but it eventually was damaged).  The point is I must use this tool in the way it was meant to be used.  If I leave my tool on the shelf it will do me no good.  If I do not use my tool as it was intended to be used it will not do me any good in the long run.  It may benefit me in the short term but I will damage it and in the long run it will be useless or need repaired.  So what will I be doing with my tool for the next year?  I will use it as it is intended to be used.  I will recognize that it is only a tool and without me it is useless.  I will take care of my tool and give it the respect it deserves.  Yes I will take care of my tool but more than that I will use my tool.  I will work hard on my journey and use the tool that has been given tome.  I will enjoy the company and support I come across on this path but I will remember that I am the only one who can walk this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment