Wednesday, July 13, 2011

First Monthly Support Group Meeting

I am six weeks out and have just been released from my weekly meetings and it happened that there was a support group meeting that very night.  I was so excited to see and hear how everyone that had been doing this for awhile was doing,  I really wanted to see all the success everyone was having and hear what was working for them.  Epic fail, so I had to make a choice right there on the spot, get depressed or learn from what I was hearing.  I decided to listen to what had been hindering the various people in the group and learn from it. I was determined not to make the same mistakes they had made.  To this day I think this is the best support group I attended.  Yes it started out negative and it frightened me and played on my fear of not being able to lose weight after being banded but I gleaned so much from that group like not snacking even on healthy food as this led to snacking on unhealthy food.  I learned that if a food was a problem before surgery it was still going to be a problem after surgery. That there were ways to cheat and to gain weight.  That not following the guidelines  that Dr. Sloan's team had set up was not an option and if I did not follow the plan I would most likely fail, so compliance with the guidelines was a must.   
Yes that support group meeting was the best I have attended.  Sometimes a negative can be a positive.  

No comments:

Post a Comment