Sunday, July 31, 2011

Tools

I went for a fill this past Thursday and it was a fairly slow time at the clinic so I had a chance to talk in depth to several of the staff. It was a really good visit and I learned so much from all of them.  
Here is some of the stuff I learned.
  •   First I learned that most people do not utilize the help that is available to them. 
  • That a lot of patients disappear after having surgery.
  •  That a good deal do not follow the plan that has proven to be successful. 
  •  That I am rare to utilize the resources that are available. 
  • Most bands are tighter in the morning making it more difficult to eat solid food.
  • It is OK to not eat breakfast in the morning and to have a healthy snack around 10:30 or 11:00.
  •  A lot of  banded patients eat more at night than they do in the earlier part of the day.
  • The reason I am able to eat more at night than any other time of the day is everything is more relaxed and the food goes down easier.
  • That Protein drinks are not recommended for Banded patients.
  • Protein shakes are acceptable though if you are using them as a meal replacement when you can't eat solid food.
  • Banded patients should avoid drinking any calories.
  • The staff at Dr. Sloan's Weight Loss Clinic really do want to help and see each patient succeed in their weight loss.
This has me thinking.  You see I would not try to do laundry without the washing detergent nor would I try to drive my car without the alternator to keep the battery charged or with a check engine light.  You see almost all of us subconsciously make sure we have all the tools needed to see a  project through to the end.  Yet with our weight loss we ignore so many of the tools that are just waiting to be used by us.  We overlook the dietitians that are so eager to help us to get the proper nutrition.  We overlook the the nurses who are so willing to talk to us about our concerns about hair loss, or brittle nails, or so many other concerns we may have.  We overlook the trainers who are willing to help us start an exercise program that will work for us.  We overlook the doctor who is available to answer our questions and share in the thrill of our successes.  So many tools that are available to us we ignore and then wonder why it is we just can't seem to lose weight.  
I for one have decided to utilize the tools that are available to make it easier to get this job of losing weight, of living a healthy lifestyle done.  I refuse to let the tools that are ready to be used sit around unused any longer.  No I will continue to use the tools that our weight loss center has available.  Why use a screwdriver when a power driver will get the job done so much quicker and with less effort on my part?  
I do appreciate the tools that are available to help make this job easier to accomplish and I will use each one wisely.  Thanks to all you tools out there who make this  task seem not so big or hard!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment