Thursday, July 14, 2011

Thanksgiving

I have always loved cooking for the holidays especially Thanksgiving. Since my husband worked for the airlines and this was their busiest time of the year I had to find a way to keep myself busy as we do not live near our family.  I like cooking so I naturally turned to cooking to keep myself busy and happy when he was working and I was home alone by myself or with small children.  Over the years my children came to really enjoy the traditions that revolved around food and as they grew and left the nest they would anticipate mom cooking all their favorites when they came home to celebrate the holidays.  In years past I would spend days cooking pies, making candy, baking cookies, and who could have a celebration without a homemade cheesecake.  
Now came the dilemma for me because I wanted to do all the same traditions my family had come to expect but I was also only a couple of months post op so what could I do for Thanksgiving.  I am not sure but I think the family came up with the solution for me since it was decided to go back home to St. Louis for Thanksgiving and now I would not be the one cooking.  
Thanksgiving day had it's own challenges as the family for the most part was very supportive and tried very hard to be a help.  It seemed everyone had an idea about how much I should be eating, some thought I ate too much and would gain weight, others thought I did not eat enough and was going to make myself sick and starve to death and then there was that home made cheesecake that someone thought they should make for me. 
How to handle all this and not offend anyone, could it even be done and not ruin the day for my dear husband?  You bet you because I have the best and most supportive husband anyone could have. He handled the family and all their good intentions like  a champ!! He would lovingly and gently let everyone know that we knew what I could and could not eat and that I was healthier than I had ever been and that if there was a problem we had all the medical care we could need only a phone call away.   The weekend turned out to be a great time with family and I learned that even though my family did not always understand they had my best interest at heart.
Oh yes I did eat a bite of the cheesecake once a day while we were there and it was so good and I still managed to lose 2 pounds that weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment