Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Getting Stuck

Anyone who has been banded for any length of time knows what it is to get food stuck in their pouch because it just won't go through the opening.  Normally it is just a headache because you learn very quickly what you need to do to get it either down or back up. I know this sounds gross but you must do what it takes.
So how do I know when I have something stuck?  First thing I notice is the pain.  This is similar to an ice cream headache but much worse.  It starts  just at the top of my stomach and radiates to my back then up my shoulder to my head.  Worst pain I have ever felt and I have had 6 C-Sections.  Then the body starts creating mucus to try and help (it never helps by the way only complicates the problem).  Not too much of an issue if I am at home but if I am out in public with friends it becomes an issue.  I have to quickly excuse myself from the table and head to the nearest bathroom.  One sure way to get this taken care of is to take a drink of something and pray I get to the bathroom before it starts coming back up.  It never ceases to amaze me that once the offending piece of food (usually meat) is out life returns to normal almost instantly.  
So how does one get food stuck anyway?  Usually I am talking and eating at the same time.  I am not paying attention to what I am doing and did not chew well.  I may be exceptionally hungry and also not chew well enough before swallowing.  Either way it most always comes down to not chewing well enough.  I always thought that I was a quick learner before being banded but I have recently come to realize I am such a slow learner.  You would think that after this happened a time or two I would pay attention but no I seem to accomplish this on a regular basis lately.  
I am sure there are some people who will say it has never happened to them before and think I am crazy but I would counter with if you can eat anything you want and have never experienced this you just may need to get a fill.

No comments:

Post a Comment