Wednesday, July 13, 2011

To Band or Not To Band

One of the hardest decisions I have ever made is the decision to have a bariatric band.  I felt like a failure, I mean what was wrong with me, if I just had more self control I could get control of this weight problem.  I had done several diets including pills from my doctor, Atkins, Weight Watchers, Starving myself.  I was pretty good at losing the weight and then would gain it right back. I even managed to gain weight while following weight watchers.
I was scared to death that we would spend all this money for weight loss surgery and I would fail yet again.  If I spent all this money and failed what would my husband say?  Would he be bitter that we spent so much and then I still did not lose the weight I needed to lose?  When he found out what I was thinking he informed me that he had made more costly mistakes and if I failed at least we would have tried and not to worry about it.
I went to see Dr. Sloan at one of his informational meetings and became convinced that I could not do this and if I was going to have surgery I would have to decide which one I would have.  Now they wanted me to decide and all I wanted was for someone to make the decision for me.  I went home thinking there is no way I will ever be able to do this.  I put it to rest or so I thought.
Fast Forward about 8 months to August 2010.  I told my husband that I might be interested in having the Weight Loss Surgery and we talked and decided together that the Band would be best for me.  I called the clinic and was given a price and was told I needed to get a Psych evaluation before we proceeded.  Now I was scared, I don't know why but I was sure he would say I was crazy.  I paid for my surgery and the next day started the program.  I had heard all these horror stories about what you have to go through but I was tough and I could handle anything they threw at me.  None of the horror stories I had heard were true!!  The team was awesome and were so kind and helpful and No One judged me for not being able to get this weight off on my own.  Four weeks later I received my Realize Band!  I was Banded!!!  Now would this really work?

No comments:

Post a Comment